Saturday, May 08, 2010

Waxing Nostalgic

After the Shriners race at Maclay Gardens we decided to take a little ride through our old stomping grounds in Killearn. We took the following pictures, then stopped at a pizza restaurant to eat. Before heading back to Cairo we drove by Bruce Weller's old house. I pointed it out to the kids and told them about him and about the day our family had to do his funeral. I miss him and Grandad. What kind of a man camps out for a year while building a house for his grandkids? Answer: A man with the last name of Robbins.

Does anyone recognize the numbers on that mailbox.
I don't remember whether this was the mailbox and post we had at the time we left Florida.
The new owners have painted the house Garnet and Gold.
A perfect choice of colors.

I think I recognize that creek.
In fact, the water looked just like that twenty years ago.
Does anyone see crawdads in this picture?
And this is still hanging right above where the pictures of the creek were taken.
I can remember several near paralizations taking place after jumping off the bank with that rope in my hands. Good thing it finally snapped.
That rope swing reminded me of the time someone was swinging on the front yard vine. During a particularly high swing I remember the vine snapping and someone landing flat on their back gasping for air. But I can't remember if that someone was me or someone else. I just remember thinking it was funny after the person started breathing again. I also remember a few shingle wars and being brained by the leg of trampoline we were rolling on its side. That had to have caused serious drain bamage. Also, catching on fire after the Model A engine backfired while I was dumping gasoline into the carburetor. Lots of fun!


This was my girlfriend's house when I was a senior.
Any guesses what her name was? Hint: She was FINE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As far as the mailbox goes that isn't the same one. We had the one Bruce made that had the thing pop up when mail was in it. We brought that out to Utah. I remember some of the trees in the yard. I ran into them playing football.